Us French Social Security Agreement

— the National Independent Social Security Fund for Minors (National Autonomous Fund of Social Security in Mines) with regard to coverage and disability, as well as old age and death benefits under the social security scheme for minors. In addition to improving the social security of working workers, international social security agreements help ensure continuity of benefit protection for people who have received social security credits under the U.S. system and another country. This table is just a general guide. More detailed information about U.S. benefits can be found here on our website or at any U.S. Social Security office. More detailed information about the French system can be found in the French address in the “More Information” section or by visiting the website of the French social security system at Self-employed workers who, in the absence of the agreement, would have to pay social security contributions to both countries are subject to special rules (see table below). The table below outlines the different types of social security benefits to be paid under the social security plans of the United States and France and briefly outlines the eligibility requirements normally applicable to each type of benefit.

If you do not qualify for these benefits, the agreement can help you qualify (see “How Benefits Can Be Paid”). If you have any questions about international social security agreements, please contact the Office of International Social Security Programs at 410-965-3322 or 410-965-7306. However, do not call these numbers if you want to inquire about a right to an individual benefit. The guarantee certificate you receive from one country indicates the effective date of your exemption from paying social security contributions in the other country. In general, this is the date you started working in the other country. The table below shows whether Social Security or France covers your work. If U.S. Social Security covers your work, you and your employer (if you are an employee) must pay U.S.

Social Security taxes. If the French system covers your work, you and your employer (if you are an employee) must meet France`s contribution requirements. The following section explains how you get a country guarantee certificate that proves that you are exempt in the other country. To submit a right to U.S. or French benefits as part of the agreement, follow the instructions in the “Benefits Rights” section. An agreement between the United States and France, which came into force on July 1, 1988, improves the protection of social security for people who work or have worked in both countries. It helps many people who, in the absence of the agreement, would not be entitled to monthly pension, disability or survival benefits under the social security system of one or both countries. It also helps people who would otherwise have to pay social security contributions to the two countries with the same incomes. Workers who have shared their careers between the United States and a foreign country may not be entitled to pensions, survivor benefits or disability insurance (pensions) from one or both countries because they have not worked long or recently enough to meet minimum conditions.

Under an agreement, these workers may benefit from partially U.S. or foreign benefits on the basis of combined or “totalized” coverage credits from both countries. Most U.S. agreements eliminate dual coverage of autonomy by allocating coverage to the worker`s country of residence. For example, under the US-Swedish agreement, an American citizen living in Sweden and living in Sweden is covered only by the Swedish system and is excluded from US coverage. Normally, people who are not U.S. citizens can benefit from U.S. Social Security benefits when they are outside the United States.